Tuesday, June 10, 2008

tagged on a tuesday

The lovely Ann from Ann Again .... And Again had an interesting 'tag' for a post. The idea is to grab the closest book, turn to page 123, find the fifth sentence and then write the next three sentences. Lost yet? Yeah, me too. I had to reread it several times to process the whole thing. Since I am feeling more then brain dead and lacking any gumption to write anything creative and witty - because I am always so creative and witty you know, unless of course you are asking my three year old who thinks I am only funny once a week. With all that being said I am taking her up on the challenge!

The nearest book to me is "The Dangerous Book for Boys" by Hal Iggulden. This chapter of the book is about famous battles, in particular the battle at Somme. The excerpt is from a poem by Laurence Binyon commemorating the slaughter of 19,000 British soldiers and the 60,000 casualties left behind. Kind of heavy for a boys book don't you think? Yikes!!

They went with songs to the battle, they were young. Straight of limb, true of eye steady and aglow. They were staunched to the end against odds uncounted: they fell with their faces to their foe.

If you have an adolescent boy I do recommend the book. It has a lot of interesting facts and things for boys to make like knots and trip wires (always important with a younger brother under foot). Plus it gives you little garnets of truth to take into the world, because really, what boy doesn't need that?!

3 comments:

motherbumper said...

I reviewed that book when it first came out and it's a damn good book for everyone - very useful stuff and reminiscent of the 1940s style of young adventurers book.

I always suck at this mean because the closest book to me is usually something I don't want to cop to ;)

Kat said...

Which is exactly why I chose the book my son was reading and not me! ha ha

Blondefabulous said...

What if all my books don't go to 123 pages??? I have mostly kids books...... The cat in the hat, sat and sat and sat... you get the picture.