Monday, June 18, 2007

why can't i say that??

Sometimes it is the mouths of babes that quickly sends us back to the world of innocence. As I was picking up my seven year old from swim lessons he looked a little disgruntled. I asked him how his lessons went and he said, "Fine, except not everyone would listen so we couldn't go off the diving board. And Mom, I am really pissed off about that!" How to react first? It took every ounce of me to not laugh hysterically at his comment. Don't want him to be running around spouting that off now do I? (that will surely earn me a bad mommy sticker) I gently told him it is not nice to say that and then asked him where he had heard that comment. He quickly responded..."Dad". Interesting.... but secretly I was cheering that I was not to blame for my child's indecent expression. I then was faced with a barrage of questions as to why that is not nice to say, why can Daddy say it, can I say it when I am ten? Hmmm, maybe I should have ignored the comment and secretly enjoyed my son’s subtle humor and spared myself the headache of explaining societal rules.

No comments: